This Mac n cheese is the perfect side dish to any BBQ, whether it’s baby backs or brisket this will be a worthy companion to the feast
Serves 5 / Cooking Time: 45 minutes
10 rashers streaky bacon
1 small onion finely diced
1 garlic clove minced
25g Unsalted butter
2 Tbsp Sweet Bones and Bacon rub
75ml double cream
75ml full fat milk
10g plain flour
75g Gouda cheese (grated)
75g mature/extra mature cheddar (grated)
- Slice the bacon into 1cm strips and place on a baking sheet in pre heated oven (180c) and cook until crispy. When crispy transfer to a tissue lined plate and put to one side
- Put macaroni into saucepan and boil until cooked through. Cook slightly longer than usual slightly overcooked pasta is what you are looking for. Once cooked drain and leave in the pan
- Whilst pasta is boiling, in another large saucepan melt the butter and cook off the onions until soft
- Add the garlic and the sweet Bones and bacon and stir to combine, taste and add more sweet bones if required.
- Evenly sieve the flour in and stir in quickly to avoid getting lumps
- Slowly stir in the milk and cream bring to a simmer and whilst stirring occasionally simmer until its start to thicken.
- After it’s thickened add half of both cheeses and continuously stir in until the cheese has melted add the bacon (save some for the top) and macaroni and stir until all is combined and evenly covered.
- Pour the Mac and cheese into a dish and evenly add the remaining cheese on the top and add left over crispy bacon
- Place in the oven until the cheese goes golden
- Remove and serve
Tip: you can prep this in advance, just leave off the top cheese and bacon until you want to cook later on