Bring the exotic tastes of Sri Lanka to your home cooking. Using our Sri Lankan curry powder, this super fragrant curry has an unrivalled depth of flavour with cardamom, cinnamon and flavour bursts from clove and spice seeds.
Prep time: 15 mins / Cooking Time: 8 hours
Ox Cheeks, 2kg
4 tbsp Sri Lankan Curry Seasoning
2 Large Brown Onions, sliced
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
4 tbsp Fresh Ginger, grated
400g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
6 Black Cardamom Pods, lightly bruised
1 tbsp Curry Leaves
6 Bay Leaves
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 tsp Tamarind Paste
1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
Fresh Coriander, finely chopped for garnish
- Cut the Ox Cheeks into large cubes and place them in a bowl. Season with A&O Sri Lankan rub and marinade overnight in the fridge.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat and pour in 4 tbsp oil. Add the onions and allow them to soften before adding coriander seeds, cardamom pods, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Mix everything together and add the beef until browned all over.
- Transfer the mix to a slow cooker, or deep saucepan, and add the cinnamon, tamarind paste, chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and green chilli. Cover and slow cook for 8 hours on a low heat.
- When the dish is ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick from the pan and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with Roti, Poppadums, Rice and pickle of choice.