Chimichangas are without a doubt some of the finest Mexican food out there. What is essentially a fried burrito, you can pack these beauties with a selection of meat, rice and cheese and then fry it. Take your meal to the next level by seasoning the meat in Angus & Oink's Mexican Rub and smoking the beef over chilli bisquettes or mesquite for an incredible flavour. Serve with fresh guac and a zingy crema.
- 2 kilo British Beef Short Ribs
- 3 tbsp A&O Mexican Rub
- 10 tortilla wraps
- 400g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 250g Jalapeño, sliced (jarred)
- 300g long grain rice
- 250ml sour cream
- 200g Fresh Coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- Refried beans(optional)
- Vegetable oil
- Season the beef short ribs in Angus & Oink Mexican Rub and allow to marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Set your smoker to between 90 and 120c. Remove ribs from the fridge and bring them to room temp. Place the ribs meat side up in the smoker and place a pan underneath to catch the juice. Smoke for 6-7 hours until internal temp reaches 96c.
- Once cooked, remove ribs from smoker and slice the meat into thin strips.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the rice for around 15 mins. Drain and return to the pan and season with Angus & Oink's Mexican Rub and stir in chopped coriander.
- Lay a tortilla on a flat surface and spread a layer of rice on top. Place strips of beef on top and sprinkle with grated cheese and sliced Jalapeños.
- Carefully tuck up the ends and fold over the edges. Add some oil to a frying pan and place the tortilla seam side down and gently fry. Turn the tortilla over and cook until all sides are golden brown. Repeat until all chimichangas have been fried.
- Serve immediately with sides/dips of choice.
*No smoker? No problem!
Simply braise the short ribs in the oven at 160c for around 3 hours. Simply season the ribs, sear them in a pan then transfer them to a Dutch oven. Add 400g chopped tomatoes, 25l beef stock and a sliced onion. The meat will be tender and juicy.